Vanilla Sour Cream Donuts
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp warm water
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream, full fat
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste (or pure vanilla extract)
Whiskey Caramel Sauce
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 3 tsp whiskey
Whiskey Vanilla Glaze
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 6 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp whole milk
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
- 3 tsp whiskey
Whiskey Caramel Glaze
- 1/2 vanilla glaze
- 1/3 cup whisky caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, sprinkle the yeast over the warm water and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs, sour cream, melted butter, vanilla paste, and yeast mixture until well combined.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until completely incorporated.
- Transfer the batter to a disposable piping bag and pipe into donut pan.
- Bake the doughnuts until puffed and golden, about 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool the doughnuts completely.
- Over medium heat, slowly add sugar to a pot and melt it little by little until you reach an amber colour.
- Throw in the butter and heat until all butter is melted. Stir to combine.
- Add salt and stir
- Slowly drizzle in heavy cream. The mixture will splatter and rise in volume, a little frightening at first but you’ll be ok!
- When caramel has cooled down, add in whiskey
- Melt butter in a large bowl in the microwave
- Stir in SIFTED powdered sugar until you reach a smooth paste consistency
- Mix in heavy cream and milk until you get a smooth liquid
- Add vanilla bean paste and whisky to taste
- Divide vanilla glaze in half and pour in about 1/3 cup of the caramel SAUCE, stir until combined
- Dip one side of the donut into the whisky vanilla glaze
- Flip over and dip other side of donut into whisky caramel glaze
- Place, vanilla side down, on a baking sheet
- Sprinkle with chopped peanuts
- Drizzle with whisky caramel sauce