Steak Fajita Grilled Cheese Recipe
August 29, 2017
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 2 cloves Garlic , crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground Cumin
- 1/2-1 teaspoon crushed red Chili/Pepper Flakes (adjust to your tastes)
- Salt to your tastes
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 (500g | 16oz) Beef Fillet Steak (Rump, Eye Fillet, or Scotch Fillet), sliced into 4 pieces
- 1 Onion , sliced
- 1/2 Red Capsicum/Bell Pepper , Deseeded and Sliced
- 1/2 Yellow/Orange Capsicum/Bell Pepper , Deseeded and Sliced
- 1/2 Green Capsicum/Bell Pepper , Deseeded and Sliced
- 8 slices day-old sourdough bread
- 1 whole , ripe avocado, sliced
- 8 slices Mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup salsa Dip
- 1/2 cup Greek yoghurt/sour cream
- Fresh Coriander/Cilantro Leaves
In a large shallow dish, whisk together the olive oil, Worcestershire, lime juice, garlic, cumin, chili/pepper flakes, salt and sugar until combined. Pour half of the marinade over the beef fillets, turning them to coat evenly. Add the capsicums/peppers with the onion to the remaining marinade and coat evenly. Cook immediately OR marinade for 1-2 hours in the refrigerator (or over night) for a deeper flavour.
Prepare bread, avocados, cheese, salsa, Greek yogurt/sour cream, and cilantro.
Heat a pan (cast iron) or heavy skillet over medium-high heat and drizzle in 2 teaspoons oil. Add the capsicums/peppers and onion and fry for a few minutes, until they’re cooked but still crunchy and vibrant in colour and have nice chargrilled marks on them. Remove to a warm plate and set aside.
In the same pan over high heat, add a little extra oil (to prevent sticking), and fry the meat in batches until cooked to your liking. Remove and allow to rest on a cutting board for 5 minutes, and then slice thinly.
Preheat grill/sandwich press, and prepare sandwiches with the capsicums/peppers and onions, steak slices, Greek yoghurt/sour cream, avocado slices, cheese and coriander/cilantro leaves. Place them into the grill/press and cook until warm and cheese has melted through.
Serve with limes, extra Greek yogurt/sour cream and salsa!