Slow Cooker Beef Brisket French Dip Sandwiches Recipe
July 8, 2017
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 lbs. beef brisket
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 yellow onion, quartered
- 4 medium potatoes, quartered (optional)
- 4 carrots, chopped into bite sized pieces (optional)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups dry red wine
- Enough water to cover
For the sandwiches
- Add oil to a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Cut any large hunks of fat off the brisket then season it generously with salt and pepper on all sides. Add the brisket to the hot oil and cook until browned on all sides, 2-4 minutes per side.
- Place the onion, carrots and potatoes in the bottom of the crockpot followed by the brisket. Sprinkle with garlic cloves, rosemary, and bay leaves. Add the broth and wine then fill with enough water to cover all of the beef and vegetables.
- Cook on low for 8 hours, then high for an additional hour.** Remove the bay leaves before serving.
For the Sandwiches:
- Remove the brisket from the crockpot and shred it. Butter both sides of the buns then place them under the broiler on low for 2 minutes or until browned and toasted. Pile the bottom half of the buns with the briskets and a few onions followed by 1-2 slices Swiss cheese. Place that half of the sandwich back under the broiler for another 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Top with the other half of the sandwich bun. Use the remaining broth from the crockpot as the “dip” for the sandwiches.