Loaded BBQ Chicken Nugget Nachos Recipe
August 17, 2017
- 8 ounces chicken(less) nuggets, thawed and diced into 1/2-inch pieces (shredded chicken may be substituted)
- about 1 cup bbq sauce
- 4 to 5 cups corn tortilla chips, or enough to cover pie dish base with some overlapping
- 6 ounces shredded (vegan) cheese, divided
- 1 medium ripe tomato, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled, de-seeded, and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup corn (fresh, frozen, or canned)
- 1/2 cup black beans, jalepenos, black olives, or diced bell peppers, all optional
- cilantro, sour cream, salsa, guac, pico de gallo, all are optional for garnishing and serving
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly spray a 9-inch round pie dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- Thaw and then dice the chicken nuggets into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Place nuggets in a medium bowl, cover with about 1 cup bbq sauce, and toss gently to evenly coat. Use enough bbq sauce so the nuggets are really juicy and well-coated. Set bowl aside while assembling the nachos; nuggets will soak up some of the bbq sauce.
- Add corn chips to prepared pie dish, arranging chips so the base of pie dish is completely covered. Chips need to overlap in places so there aren’t gaps. I made a double-layer of chips.
- Evenly sprinkle about 4 ounces cheese over chips.
- Evenly sprinkle the tomato, avocado, corn, and any optional toppings.
- Evenly sprinkle with the chicken nuggets. My nuggets were very moist and drippy, and I drizzled on of the residual bbq sauce from the marinating bowl.
- Evenly sprinkle with the remaining cheese, about 2 ounces.
- Bake for about 18 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly, melted, and nachos are done. Baking times may vary widely based on brand and type of cheese used, juiciness of nuggets, moisture level in tomato, avo, corn, if optional ingredients were used, climate and oven variance, etc. Watch your nachos, not the clock.
- Optionally, garnish and serve nachos with cilantro, sour cream, salsa, guac, pico de gallo. Nachos are best fresh and warm.