- 1 small thumb (~2 inches) ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 green onions
- 1 cup soy sauce
- ½ cup Mirin
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 kg flanken style short ribs
- Mix all marinade ingredients together in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 40 seconds on high (enough to warm through), and stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Lay ribs in a marinating dish with a decent lip- there will be a fair amount of marinade for the ribs to soak in, but we want them to really bathe. Pour marinade over the ribs and shuffle to make sure all of them are fully coated. Cover and refrigerate overnight. If you can, rotate the ribs in the marinade again the morning.
- Cook ribs on the barbecue for 3-5 minutes a side- these are thin cuts so they will cook quickly. Serve immediately with a side of rice, veggies and furikake.