Honey Barbecue Pulled Beef Sandwiches Recipe
July 24, 2017
- 3 – 4 pound blade chuck or cross rib beef roast
- salt and pepper to season the roast
- 1 1/2 cups plain tomato sauce
- 1 medium red onion very finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1/2 to 1 tsp chipotle powder to taste depending on spice level you prefer
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
For the Creamy Dijon Cole Slaw
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 large grated carrot
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tbsp whole grain Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp sugar or 2 tbsp honey
- salt and pepper to season
Season the beef roast with salt and pepper. heat a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil in a cast iron or heavy bottom skillet and then brown it on all sides.
Transfer the roast to a covered roasting an or dutch oven.
Stir together the tomato sauce, garlic, onions and all of the spices, salt and pepper.
Pour over the roast, cover and cook in a 325 degree F oven for about 3 hours or a little longer for a larger roast, until the meat is tender and falling apart. I like to turn the roast in the sauce half way through the cooking time.
When cooked, remove the meat, cover with aluminum foil and transfer the sauce in the pan to a small saucepan.
Add the honey and vinegar and simmer for about 15 – 20 minutes or until it thickens to a barbecue sauce consistency.
Using a fork (or just your fingers if the roast has cooled down sufficiently) pull the beef apart in small finger with pieces, removing any excess fat as you go.
Pour the hot sauce over the beef.
Serve on toasted burger buns or artisan crusty bread. I love to serve it with some Creamy Dijon Cole Slaw.
To make the slaw
Stir together the mayo, Dijon mustard, vinegar, sugar (or honey), salt and pepper.
Toss together well with the cabbage and carrot.