- 2 lbs. boneless chicken, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons from deep fry oil
- 2 tablespoon chopped shallots
- ½ cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons of the leftover flour seasoned for chicken preparation
- 1 cup milk
- 1½ teaspoon chicken bouillon cube
- 4 cups fries
- 2 cups cheese curds
- ½ cup bacon crumbs
- ¼ green onions
- To make fried chicken: Heat canola oil to 350 F. Line a bake sheet with paper towel;set aside.
- Line a second bake sheet with a wire rack. Pour buttermilk into a bowl; set aside. In a second large bowl, combine and whisk together flour, black pepper, salt, baking powder, paprika and cayenne pepper.
- Add chicken pieces to flour mixture and toss to coat. Transfer dusted chicken pieces to wire rack in one even layer. Working in batches. Dip chicken pieces in buttermilk and lower into hot oil, being careful not to over crowd the pan. Fry the chicken, turning the pieces occasionally, until golden brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove from oil and transfer to paper towel-lined bake sheet.
- To make gravy (gravy recipe adapted from Epicurious): Sauté the shallots and mushrooms in the deep fry oil over medium high heat, until soft. Whisk together flour and milk until lumps disappear. Whisk milk mixture into sautéing shallots and mushrooms. Whisk in chicken bouillon. Boil until thickened to preferred consistency.
- Assembly: Layer fries, with cheese curds, gravy and fried chicken. Finish with bacon crumbs and green onions. Serve immediately.