- 4-6 slices thick cut bacon
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons bourbon (if needed sub water)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or more to your taste)
- 4 slices really good whole grain bread (or your favorite breadI)
- 2-4 ounces smoked gouda cheese, sliced
- 2 cups spring lettuce mix + a handful of MicroGreens
- 2 heirloom or regular tomatoes, sliced
- 1 avocado, pitted + sliced
- 2 fried eggs (4 if you are making a giant BLT
- salt and pepper, to taste
Chipotle Bourbon Mayo (optional)
- 1/2 cup good quality mayo (I like to use an olive oil based mayo)
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, minced
- 1 teaspoon bourbon (optional)
- In a bowl mix together the mayo, chipotle pepper and bourbon. Cover and keep in the fridge until ready to use.
- In a small bowl mix together the maple syrup, bourbon and cayenne pepper.
- Place the bacon on a cold griddle or in large skillet. Do not over crowd the skillet. Heat the skillet to medium-low heat. Once the bacon has cooked for a few minutes and starts to curl, flip the bacon. Brush the top side with the bourbon-maple glaze and sprinkle with fresh black pepper. Continue cooking the bacon over medium low heat, flipping every few minutes and brushing again with glaze until the bacon is crisp (you will not use all the glaze). If needed, drain some of the grease off during cooking. Try to watch the bacon closely, the sugar will caramelize and the bacon can burn if you do not keep flipping and brushing with the glaze.
- Remove the bacon from the heat and drain on paper towels. Drizzle a little more glaze over top of the warm bacon.
- Slice the tomatoes on a cutting board and drizzle with just a little olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat the broiler (and start frying your eggs).
- Toast the slices of bread lightly in the toaster. Place all slices of bread on a baking sheet. Spread a little chipotle mayo over two slices of bread. Divide the sliced gouda cheese over all four slices of bread. Place under the broiler for 30 seconds or until the cheese is melted. WATCH CLOSELY, they cook quick!
- Divide the lettuce over the two bottom slices of bread (the ones with the mayo). Add the tomato slices, avocado slices and bacon. Drizzle any remaining bourbon glaze over the bacon (or to your taste). Place an egg over the bacon and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the top slice of cheesy bread (cheese side touches the egg). Serve with extra mayo if desired.