for the beer brownies
- 1 cup dark beer (such as stout)
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
for the beer frosting
- 6 tablespoons unsalted buter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Add the beer to a small saucepan and boil until it reduces to ⅓ cup. It will take about 20 minutes. Keep an eye on it to prevent it from boiling over.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the butter, cocoa powder, sugar, and unsweetened chocolate. Microwave on full powder for 30 seconds. Stir, then microwave for another 30 seconds. Let the mixture cool for 1 minute.
- Stir in 4 tablespoons of the beer concentrate, the egg white, vanilla, and salt.
- Finally, mix in the flour and stir for 50 strokes to incorporate and activate the gluten in the flour.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf pan and bake for 40-45 minutes. It’s done when the surface is dry and an inserted toothpick has only moist crumbs sticking to it. Let cool.
- Once the brownies are cool, make the frosting. Beat together the softened butter and powdered sugar until combined. Beat in the remaining beer concentrate (1 tablespoon).
- Frost the brownies and serve.