Bacon Bourbon BBQ Burgers Recipe
June 12, 2017
- 16 ounces grass fed beef or organic short rib blend ground beef
- kosher salt
- 6 slices thick cut bacon, cooked
- 2 teaspoons grapeseed oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 ounces extra sharp cheddar, shredded
- 2 eggs fried (optional)
- 2 pretzel buns, toasted
- Very gently form the burgers into 2 – 8 ounces patties, careful not to pack the meat too tightly. Season generously on both sides with kosher salt. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- While the burgers are resting, in a small saucepan over medium heat add the grapeseed oil and diced onion. Saute until the onion begins to sweat and become translucent.
- Stir in the ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, salt and cayenne pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Mix in the bourbon and cook for an addition minute or two. Remove from heat.
- Cook the burgers on a grill or in a cast iron skillet with a small amount of oil according to your preferred preference.
- In the last minute, add 1 ounce of shredded cheese to the top of each burger. If using a grill, cover to melt the cheese. If cooking in a skillet tent with some foil.
- Remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes.
- While the burger is resting fry the eggs.
- To build the burger:
- Place the bottom of the pretzel bun on a plate and top with the cheese burger, add a tablespoon or two of BBQ sauce, 3 pieces of bacon broken in half and if using top with the fried egg, add the top bun.